Monday 15 March 2010

A childhood mingmong in Loughborough

Still trying to hunt down that somewhat important file. I did, however, find proof that I've been a sad, lonely and pathetic Doctor Who fan practically since the womb.

We had to make our own entertainment back in the mists of time (well, the 1990s). None of these shiny Doctor Who toys in bright orange packaging, or the internet, or mobile phones or non-terrestrial TV back in my day, y'know. (Well, the latter three did exist, they were just Very Expensive and we couldn't afford them). And TV used to closedown every night and start up again every morning, and if you got out of bed too early you had to sit through the testcard or Teletext teamed with lift music until the cartoons started. The SNES was the height of technology and Gameboys were the size of bricks with a two colour screen: black, and the bits that weren't black. None of these touch screen full-colour with a rechargeable battery wotsits. Basically, things were a bit crap. The Tories were in power back then, as well. Coincidence? I think not.

(c) Me, circa 1992-4 (Click to enlarge).

L-R: The Fourth Doctor, Romana, K9.

L-R: The Melkur (I think), K9, Me, The Fourth Doctor, the TARDIS, a Dalek.

'Fun Greetings of Dr Who'.

'How Dr Who met Erykah'

My artistic talents haven't particularly improved since the early-1990s.

I also discovered this - also from Doctor Who Magazine - which I'd completely forgotten about and means I can now technically include 'interviewing David Tennant' as one of my journalistic achievements. Excellent stuff.

What a spectacularly unexciting answer. For the record, an 'Erykah' cocktail would essentially be a Kalimotxo - not only does it contain two of my favourite things, but it's red, it's fruity, and has a bit of a kick to it. Though the Erykah-themed version would probably add a shot of absinthe in order to get everyone appropriately trashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment