Thursday 1 April 2010

Wandering lonely as a cloud

I bought more daffodfils. This time the little trumpety bits in the middle are yellow. Metaphorically, my life seems to be improving. Apart from the internet crashing for two days and the boiler breaking. Of course, with the central heating out of action, the weather has decided it's winter again.

Being internet-less was a hideous experience, I had to write an essay doing research in books. BOOKS! I'm used to relying on Google for all my research needs, it was very odd. I hadn't realised until now how reliant I am on the internet. And, naturally, it hit during the week all my housemates have gone home and I'm lacking in human contact.

I have one more day left of university. In fifteen hours it'll all be over - apart from the small matter of writing 18,500 words between now and the 20th May. This terrifies me. I have, however, been unexpectedly asked to progress to the second round of applications for a summer internship, which is promising. Perhaps I'm not utterly unemployable after all.

I have also decided that at some point in the near-future I want to go to Berlin. Unfortunately, I can barely speak a word of German, despite having studied it for two years at school. I blame the fact we only had one lesson a week, last thing on a Friday afternoon. Nobody had their brains in gear by that point. I managed to get an A in GCSE French, and hold a (very) basic conversation, yet the one sentence I can remember in German is "es ist sonnig." And as Germany's in Europe, I'm guessing it's not generally an accurate statement. So, I have persuaded my annoyingly-good-at-languages housemate to go with me. I also have epic plans to head over into the Netherlands to see the lovely Eric, and maybe also Prague and Budapest. But this depends very much on finances, and whether or not I actually have a job by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment