Thursday 11 February 2010

Ouch

I just paid £12.99 for a 56-page book of poetry.

My head hurts, and my wallet hurts.

For comparison, Sarah Waters's 500-page tome The Little Stranger has an RRP of £16.99, and I got it on Amazon for £8.49. To me, this makes no sense.

Word-for-word, poetry seems a more profitable business to pursue. I shall bear this in mind.

I would question why the university bookshop doesn't provide any discounts, but after being there for nearly four years I've learned that things at QM rarely make sense.

2 comments:

  1. You were done, mate. Saw The Little Stranger in Tesco's yesterday, you could buy that and the new No 1 Ladies Detective Agency novel for £7 the pair.

    Yes, I know, it's the evil empire. But they do do cheap books.

    Of course, they don't stock poetry. There's no call for it, apparently...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My copy of The Little Stranger is hardback - and I had to buy it for uni just after it was announced as being on the Booker shortlist, so all the prices went up!

    Bloody poetry.

    ReplyDelete