Thursday 18 February 2010

'Tower' Hamlet

Off to the theatre tonight, for the first time this decade! I'm very glad about this, as I've been suffering withdrawal symptoms.

In fact, I was getting so antsy about how long it's been since I visited the theatre, I sat down and worked out I went 23 times in 2009. This starts to explain the ever-increasing negative balance of my bank account, though thanks to the wonder of the Arts Council, I've not spent nearly as much as I should have. Multiple shows, and £5 stall tickets for the RSC. Wonderful stuff. And all I have to do is be under-26. For now, that is incredibly simple. Loving it!

Besides, I think a theatre addiction is probably cheaper and more rewarding than a crack habit.

I blame Shakespeare, personally. I hate reading plays, and love Shakespeare, so am on a mission to see every one of his plays performed on stage. So far I've reached 20, with eight more planned this year - Measure for Measure at the Almeida, King Lear and Antony & Cleopatra at the RSC, and, somewhat wonderfully, Macbeth, Henry VIII, Henry IV part one, Henry IV part two and The Merry Wives of Windsor at the Globe. Words cannot express just how much I'm in love with the Globe for putting on Henry VIII. Is this how most people feel about football?

Anyway, Tower Hamlet is a (slightly odd sounding) re-interpretation of Hamlet, which I absolutely adore. And as it's quite literally at the bottom of my road, I thought I should show my support.

Though, as it's supposedly a "public arts education initiative for Tower Hamlets", I do have to wonder why it's being performed in a theatre on the border of Hackney and Islington.

No comments:

Post a Comment